FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 3, 2016
Marketing and Communications Co-Chair
COLUMBUS – With the 2016 HRC Gala approaching, HRC Columbus is proud to announce Equitas Health as the 2016 recipient of the Columbus HRC Equality Award.
The Equality Award is given to an individual or organization that embodies the passion and dedication to advancing LGBTQ equality that is central to HRC’s mission. It is the most prestigious award given by HRC Columbus.
Equitas Health, formerly AIDS Resource Center Ohio (ARC Ohio), is a non-profit organization that has dedicated over 32 years of service to providing exceptional and compassionate care to those living with HIV/AIDS in Columbus and Central Ohio. Recently recognized as a “Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality” by the national Human Rights Campaign, Equitas Health has sought to end the HIV/AIDS epidemic that has disproportionately affected the LGBTQ community. Their services include:
● Primary and specialized, patient-centered medical care for those living with HIV/AIDS
● Mental Health and Social Services, including HIV drug assistance and housing
● Community education on the use of pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP and PEP) to prevent future infections as well as providing this medication at their pharmacy
● Advocacy work through the Ohio AIDS Coalition
● Camp Sunrise for children and families impacted by HIV/AIDS
Central Ohio LGBTQ individuals are more likely to experience certain types of cancer and chronic diseases, are more susceptible to HIV/STI infections, and are at elevated risk for behavioral health conditions. Additionally, LGBTQ people are less likely to be open about their sexual orientation to their providers, and many report disrespectful treatment, lack of awareness on their unique health needs, or judgment when seeking care. Equitas Health has recently announced an expansion of their services to address these issues in the Central Ohio region. HRC Columbus will be honoring Equitas Health at the 2016 HRC Columbus Gala on June 4th, 2016 at Archie Griffin Ballroom, The Ohio Union at Ohio State, 1736 N. High St., Columbus, OH 43201. For more information, go to hrccolumbusdinner.com